The heat is seriously on here in NYC. It beat down on the streets yesterday, bringing the temperature near 100 degrees. And it looks like it will be a repeat performance for today. The upside to that: it’s great training weather at peak-heat for Triathlon and other race enthusiasts. The downside: I am not a triathlete, and I really don’t like training in this kind of heat. So I’ve been wallowing on my couch, exhausted just from surviving the tremendous heat. It was one thing to be in this kind of heat in Cartagena, while on vacation wearing shorts. It’s another thing entirely when I am attempting to survive the walk to work in a suit and tie. I can’t even think about the level of heat outside without losing my cool – and I mean that literally!
Fortunately, I still have food to turn to!
Smoked Keilbasa Stir Fry; What you’ll need:
- 1lb Smoked Keilbasa, sliced (I’ve discussed sticking to high-quality meats before)
- 1 medium Zucchini or Yellow Squash, sliced (these work better if they’re young)
- 2 medium Carrots, sliced
- 6-8 medium Crimini mushrooms, quartered
- Spices: Turmeric, Salt, Pepper (and others, if you like)
Cook and Prep Time:
1. Start the Keilbasa first on medium high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes without any oil, but stir regularly.
2. Add the zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms after about 2-3 minutes of cooking. Keep the heat on medium-high, and cook for another 7-8 minutes before spicing.
3. Spice your food, and keep stirring! Serve after 12-15 minutes of total cook time.
- Do you do Stir Fry?
- Which vegetables are your favorites?
- Which meats are your favorites?
- Do you like Stir Fry as a side, or as a main dish?