UPC’s Salad Bento Boxes
I’ve shared pictures of my lunch salads before, but today’s post is somewhat special. My wife and I making a concerted effort to remove unnecessary plastic from our lives. There are a couple of reasons for that, but the biggest one is an attempt to reduce our impact on the world. I’m a firm believer in the “Golden Rule” and my wife recently pointed out to me that I really should be working hard to use as much re-usable materials as possible, since that’s ultimately the best application of the “Golden Rule” in regards to my impact on the environment. She’s right, of course, and I didn’t need any convincing. The plastic containers that I had been using previously would often last me months before being replaced. But they’re still plastic. So we made the shift to glass for out refrigerator items, and we just picked up several of the Smart Planet “Meal Kits” that are made entirely from silicone.
These are awesome for a couple of reasons, in my book: they’re durable, they’re light, they’ll last until we don’t like the colors anymore, and they collapse once you’re done with them to take up less space. And, of course, most importantly, they’re not ugly. Which makes it easier for me to share my lunch recipes with you!
I may make this “Bento Box Lunch” a whole separate category, if you all end up think it’s a hit. Be sure to read the “Questions” at the end to help me figure out whether this should be a regular thing, or if I should just keep in in the 3-meal rotation that I have going now.
Today’s UPC Salad Bento Box; What you’ll need:
- 1 Serving of UPC’s Salad Eggs
- 1 Serving of Rosemary Carrots and Mushrooms (instructions below)
- 1 Double-Serving Tossed Salad (any great lunch-salad will do; instructions for pictured salad below)
UPC’s Salad Eggs:
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Organic Yellow Zucchini, chopped (obviously green zucchinis will work too!)
- 2 Organic Carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch Organic Basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
Rosemary Carrots and Mushrooms:
- 2 medium Organic Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup Crimini Mushrooms, quartered (chopped large)
- 4 sprigs Organic Rosemary, Rosemary pulled off the sprig and chopped
- Optional: Add copped Celery for additional flavor and green.
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil (for extra credit: use bacon grease!)
- 1 large Organic Avocado, chopped
- 1 medium Organic Cucumber
- 2 cups UPC’s Pulled Pork (alternately, sliced ham or bacon)
- 1 bunch Organic Basil, chopped
- 3 cups Organic Arugula, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Serves: 2 (Breakfast and Lunch, depending on your meal sizes)
Cook and Prep time: About 1 hour
1. Start the UPC’s Salad Eggs. I’m going to skip the instructions for this, since they’re well documented in the linked post.
2. In a small pot, add the carrots first, then the mushrooms, rosemary, and coconut oil. Cover, and cook on high for 1 minute. After 1 minute, turn down to medium-low, and leave covered, stirring every 3-4 minutes while you prepare the rest of the Bento-Box.
3. Tend the UPC’s Salad Eggs, continuing to follow the directions in the post.
4. Turn off the carrots and mushrooms after about 12 minutes of cook time.
5. Add the chopped arugula (or your favorite salad greens) and basil to a mixing bowl. On top, add the avocado, cucumber and pulled pork. Then spread the olive oil evenly over the salad and mix carefully (I mix with my bare hands; yes I wash them first).
Serve each meal portion in to a separate section of your Bento Box, and enjoy!
- What are your thoughts on a full-meal post from time to time?
- Do you like the idea of the lunch Bento-Box format?
- Would you like to see more hot-meal components, or cold-meal components?
- What do you bring for your own breakfast and lunch?