UPC’s Bacon, Ham, and Olive Salad
I had an awesome weekend! I’m not going to write an entire post on what I did this weekend (I’m saving that for my 1-mile race, coming up), but I am definitely going to share. The highlight of my weekend was a “Super Spartan” race that I did with a big group of friends yesterday (Sunday). If you’ve ever done any of the adventure/obstacle races before, you already know that these events are an amazing way to spend a day enjoying your friends’ company, and having a great time doing it! I’ve done some research on the Super Spartan and Spartan Beast races in the past, and they’re really quite challenging running events in their own right; adding in the obstacles increase the difficulty, and the fun, so that a large group of friends can get together and have a great time working through the course as a unit.
My favorite obstacles from the course: The water slide (yeah, it was as awesome as it sounds like it should be!) and the rope climb (just like gym class). I think the hardest obstacle was the “military crawl” where we crawled about 50 meters under barbed wire, through mud, dirt, rocks, and assorted other challenging terrain. And the most timely obstacle: the pond-swim, which came just when I thought I was going to melt from the hill-climbing and running. Wow it felt great to cool down in the pond!!
UPC’s Bacon, Ham, and Olive Salad; What you’ll need:
- Favorite Salad Greens (I used baby kale and arugula, both organic)
- 1 lb Bacon, cooked and crumbled (use only premium bacon)
- 1/2 lb Rosemary Ham, sliced
- 1 medium Cucumber, chopped
- 1 can Green Olives, drained
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup Crimini Mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Cook and Prep time: 35 minutes
1. Start the bacon.
Note: I always cook my bacon on medium-low heat, covered. It helps me keep it chewy, the way I prefer my bacon.
2. Chop and prep the salad ingredients, combining them in a mixing bowl.
3. Tend the bacon. When it’s done, remove and place on a paper bag to dry and cool.
4. Crumble (or chop if you prefer your bacon chewy) your bacon thoroughly, and add it to the mixing bowl.
5. Add the olive oil (if you didn’t already) and mix thoroughly. Now serve, take to work, and enjoy!
- Have you done an adventure race of any kind?
- If not: would you? Which one?
- Was it an obstacle course style race, like the Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or any of the other various exciting obstacle course races out there?
- Would you do it again?
- What did you enjoy the most/least about it?
- Would you do a different one?
- Which ones are you looking at?