UPC’s Baked Sweet Potato Bun Burgers
I’ve been playing around with various different ways to eat a burger. In my opinion, a well made burger is a hallmark of a great chef. Anyone can make a burger, and most people can make a decent burger. But so very few people have managed to truly and consistently make an excellent burger. Of course, there’s steep competition out there. There are a lot of restaurants which try their hardest for the title of “best burger”. And a few of them are actually exceptional!
But almost no matter what, every burger place I visit requires me to order burger “Bunless”. This leaves me with no choice but to eat the burger with a fork and knife. And that runs contrary to the ideal of the burger! At least, it’s not what I picture when I think of one.
Why Baked Sweet Potato Bun Burgers?
Well, as I mentioned above, I firmly believe that a great burger should be enjoyed with your hands. So, since the traditional bun is off the menu for me, so to speak, I’ve had to look for alternatives. You’ve all seen my Portobello Bun Burger posts and recipes (here, here, portobello steak sandwich here, and this one made entirely of bacon here, and even this amazing Sloppy-Joe’s recipe here), which are amazing! But some people don’t love mushrooms as much as I do. So I need to consider some other options. Besides, I like variety too!
As a starch, sweet potatoes are delicious and nutritious. They have great coloring, and are one of my primary go-to side dishes for almost any situation. You’ve seen me do the Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato Fries (here, here, here, and here), and any number of other meals including sweet potatoes. I’ve also done Sweet Potato Buns using Shredded Sweet Potato Buns. Today I am going much simpler!
UPC’s Baked Sweet Potato Bun Burgers; What you’ll need:
- Sweet Potato Bun:
- 4 1/4 lb Grass-fed Beef Burgers
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- Optional Spices: Turmeric, Ground Mustard, Sea Salt
- Favorite Salad Greens
- 4-6 Button Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Avocado (additionally, you can put some avocado on the burger too!)
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Optional Flavorings: Fresh Thyme, Fresh Basil, Fresh Cilantro
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425.
2. Slice the sweet potato into round slices, about 1/2 thick, and place the sweet potato slices onto a silicone bake mat (or parchment paper or tin foil). Put these in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. Cook the burgers in a skillet ( or grill them if you’re adventurous in this cold) on mediun heat, covered.
4. After 10 minutes of cook time flip both the burgers and the sweet potato slices. Add whatever spices to the burgers you’re going to add.
5. While the burgers and sweet potatoes cook, assemble the salad.
6. After 20 minutes cook time, place the a sweet potato slice on a plate. Place a burger patty onto the sweet potato slice, and place another slice on top of the burger.
Now serve and enjoy!