UPC’s Blackened Shrimp Bento Box – A Hot&Cold Lunch Salad
I had a lot of fun with the Hot&Cold Salad last winter and spring. It was one of my favorite ways to give myself a great helping of greens, while still enjoying a nice hot meal. Further, there’s nothing more comforting when contemplating the soon-arriving lunch time than to know that you’ve got a delicious comfort food, which you can enjoy steamy hot, waiting for you in your lunch container!
Here are some of my favorite Hot&Cold Salads from last year:
- Bacon, Avocado and Maduros Hot & Cold Salad
- Steak Hot & Cold Salad
- Pork Chops and Mango Hot & Cold Salad
There are many more, but those were my favorite. Check out the full list here: Hot & Cold Salads
What’s For Lunch?
One of the most common questions I get when people find out that I’m great with a kitchen knife, or that I’m the cook in the house, is “What do you make for your lunches?” I have my theories on why this is a big question, of course, but I think what’s important is that there are a lot of people out there who don’t really know what to eat for lunch. There are some important questions to consider, like:
- How do you make something that’s easy to carry?
- How do you make sure that you have a good macro-nutrient balance?
- How about putting together a lunch that doesn’t cause the 2 PM Slump?
I get it, lunch is a challenge. Breakfast is early enough that you just can’t mess it up. And boy don’t we all try!! Doughnuts? Cold Cream-Of-Grain Soup? Culturally, we do an astonishingly bad job eating breakfast! And if you don’t manage to peg your macro-nutrient content for dinner, and end up really sleepy 2 hours later, that’s great! Shoot – I wouldn’t even consider that “eating wrong”! But lunch is tricky. Getting it just right on a weekend is hard enough; it takes planning, preparation. Now throw in the challenge of having to carry your food with you to work…
So I did what I could to share.
Enter the Hot & Cold Salad.
- 1 lb Frozen Shrimp (wild-caught is best)
- Chopped Veggies: 2 full Celery Stalks, 2 medium Carrots, 8 Crimini Mushrooms, 1 Zucchini
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 3 cups Chopped Salad Greens (I used Celery Greens - love em!)
- 2 medium Cucumbers, chopped
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- In a large pan, add the coconut oil and shrimp and cook on high for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- After 10 minutes, add the Chopped Veggies and the Italian Seasoning; continue to stir regularly.
- Cook for 5 minutes on high, then turn the heat off.
- Leave the pan on the heat, covered, while you prep the salad.
- Prep the salad: Combine the greens with the olive oil and mix.
- Now serve and enjoy!
When you're packing this for lunch, be sure that you pack the Hot portion of the Hot & Cold Salad separately. If you don't have a special container to keep them separate, you can use a plastic sandwich baggy.
Make sure you use a microwave safe container when re-heating this for your meal!